Best Universities in the South African Province of Western Cape
Wednesday, September 9, 2020
Are you considering pursuing a degree in the Province of Western Cape? You should know which are the best universities in the most important province in the South African territory.
What is the Western Cape best known for?
- Location: The Western Cape is a South African province with coasts bordering the Indian and Atlantic oceans.
- Main City: The province is known for the port city of Cape Town, which happens to be the country’s legislative capital city. It is set beneath Table Mountain, part of a national park of the same name.
- History and Tourism: In Table Bay, Robben Island is the notorious prison that once held Nelson Mandela, and is now a living museum. Further afield, winelands surround historical towns like Stellenbosch, Franschhoek and Paarl.
- Climate: A maritime climate and accompanying vegetation are found in the coastal regions. Much of the remainder of the land to the north has a Mediterranean climate changing to semiarid farther north.
- Language and Ethnicity: About one-half of the province’s population is of mixed ethnicity, one-fourth black, and one-fifth white. The remaining population is Asian of mostly Indian descent. Almost all of the population is urban, concentrated for the most part in the city of Cape Town. Afrikaans is the most widely spoken language, followed by Xhosa and English. Many other African languages are also spoken by a small percentage of the population.
- Industry: Western Cape has a strong agricultural sector. Much of South Africa’s wool, wheat, alfalfa (lucerne) hay, and fruit (including apples, pears, apricots, and peaches) comes from Western Cape province, as does almost all of its wine. The interior is a sheep-raising region. Ostrich raising is prominent in the province, and ostrich meat and feathers are exported. The area also enjoys a steady export trade in fresh fruit, table grapes, wine, brandy, and canned goods. Timber is a valuable product in the area east of Mossel Bay on the south coast.
- Education: There are universities at Cape Town, Stellenbosch, and Bellville. Cape Town has numerous libraries and museums—including the South African Museum (founded 1825).
Best Universities located in the Western Cape
If you are interested in learning more about the Western Cape, its Universities and their programmes, visit Online Programmes.